The Cayman Islands Customs & Border Control Service (CBC) would like to remind persons who are importing goods for the holiday season to ensure all supplier or sales invoices are provided to your appointed Agent before the goods arrive. This would help ensure a timely clearing and release of the goods.
If this is the first time you are importing goods using a courier or broker agent, you will need to register with CBC through Customs Online System (COLS). A legible and valid Government identification document e.g. driver’s license or passport (voter ID not accepted) will need to be submitted with your electronic application. Once your application is approved, you will receive an email from CBC with information instructing you on how to login. This process can take up to 48 hours so it’s strongly urged that you do this step as soon as possible. After your registration has been approved, you can then appoint or remove your agent as you so desire using COLS. Below are some useful tips to follow.
· As soon as you know you are receiving goods, gather the necessary documents and share them with your agent.
· The necessary documents should be your Supplier or Sale Invoice(s). Provide these documents in PDF format to your agent.
· If additional documentation is required to collect your package, obtain this prior to the shipment arriving (e.g. approval needed from the Department of Agriculture). If you are not sure what other information is required, ask your agent or CBC’s Customer Support Centre (see number below).
· Omit or misrepresent the value of your goods (don’t assume “everyone” will know the value of a given item).
· Hand written invoices are not normally accepted.
· The importer is responsible for providing all necessary and proper documentation, do not rely on the agent to do this.
Persons making payments for imported goods should follow the office protocols by wearing a mask and practicing social distancing while waiting for service.
To view the documents needed to clear goods visit www.cbc.gov.ky or follow us on Facebook.