This information is intended for persons who are planning to come to the Cayman Islands to study full-time at a recognized educational institution.

It will help you determine if you need a visa to study in the Cayman Islands, how to apply for the visa if you do, and also provides a list of frequently asked questions about living as a student in the Islands.

Do I need a visa to study in the Cayman Islands?

The following persons do not require a student visa to study in the Cayman Islands:

·         Caymanians (i.e. persons possessing Caymanian Status)

·         Spouses of Caymanians

·         Permanent Residence holders

·         Residency and Employment Rights Certificate holders

·         Persons under the age of eighteen who are named as dependants

The following persons do require a student visa to study in the Cayman Islands:

A person who is-

a.       not a Caymanian; and

b.       not the spouse of a Caymanian; and

c.       not a Permanent Residence holder; and

d.       not an Employment Rights Certificate holder

and who

·         is eighteen years of age or older

·         is seeking to enter the Cayman Islands for the purpose of attending a recognized educational institution on a full-time basis;

·         intends to leave the Islands at the end of their studies; and

·         is not named as a dependant on a work permit, a Residency & Employment Rights Certificate, a Residency Certificate for Persons of Independent Means, or on a letter conferring the grant of permanent residence

Note: A child entering the Islands for the express purpose of adoption proceedings shall, with the express permission of the Chief Immigration Officer, be allowed to remain and attend school in the Islands without a student visa.